Connect with us

News

Report – Brock Lesnar In Talks To Fight At UFC 200

Published

on

FORMER heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is in talks with the UFC to fight at UFC 200 in July.

The WWE star hasn’t competed in MMA since December 2011 when he lost to Alistair Overeem at UFC 141, but he is reportedly close to finalising a deal that will see him re-enter the Octagon in just over a month’s time, according toMMAFighting.com.

The website reported that an announcement about Lesnar’s comeback would be made soon if talks continue to go smoothly. It is unknown at this stage who is being considered as an opponent for the 38-year-old.

Mark Hunt is one possibility, with the New Zealand heavyweight revealing last month UFC president Dana White told him to “stay ready” for a call-up to UFC 200.

“I asked Dana about New York (UFC 205 in November) but he has other plans,’’ Hunt said. “Wants me fighting sooner.

“I’ve only just got back in the gym but my body is feeling good. So it could be UFC 200, who knows … I have been told to be ready.

“It’s all a bit hard to follow at the moment but it seems I could be that fill in guy somewhere.

Hunt beat two-time heavyweight champ Frank Mir via a round one knockout in his last fight in March, further enhancing his reputation in the sport.

Dana White tried to re-sign Lesnar to the UFC last year when his wrestling contract was due to expire, but the American decided to stick with the WWE — a promotion he’s been with for the past four years.

Lesnar is one of the most recognisable faces in the sport. Luring him back to fight at UFC 200 would be a massive coup for the promotion that’s been plagued with uncertainty since the planned headline of Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz fell through after the Irishman’s infamous “retirement”.

“The Notorious” has since held talks with White and the UFC hierarchy, but he is no chance of making an appearance on July 9. Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier will instead headline the night.

Last October, Lesnar told legendary wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin he was serious about making a return to the Octagon.

“It wasn’t a bluff,” Lesnar said on Austin’s podcast. “I felt robbed by diverticulitis. I felt robbed by being sick. I was feeling good and it took me a couple years to start feeling good. I’m at home, I’m working out, my life is great, everything’s in tune, my contract’s coming to an end with WWE, hey it’s been a great time but something’s missing.

“I was upfront and totally honest with the company and told them I’m really thinking of pursuing getting back in the Octagon.”

He claimed the UFC heavyweight crown with a TKO win over Randy Couture in 2008, and he won an epic headline fight against Frank Mir at UFC 100 in 2009 — the best selling pay-per-view in MMA history.

Lesnar has a 5-3 record in the UFC.

Continue Reading
Comments




Podcast

Write For Us

Facebook

LATEST NEWS